Prospect Burma a non-political organization located in the United Kingdom that started in 1989. In its beginning, the organization focussed on supporting refugees who were forced to flee from Myanmar. They started raising funds for books and classes in refugee schools and they granted an annual scholarship to one exiled Myanmar student to support him to attend university.
In Prospect Burma, they believe that the best way to create deep and lasting peace and to help a country recover from the effect of conflicts is through investing in education.
The organization works on three main programs; Access to learning, Learning to leadership, and Change in community. Through these three programs, Prospect Burma support the transformative education of qualified Myanmar students, regardless of their religious or ethnic background.
Over the years Prospect Burma has grown exponentially, by developing and expanding its scholarship programs and went from offering one annual scholarship to offering about 80 to 90 scholarships annually. Prospect Burma Scholarship for International Students is a partial, highly competitive scholarship dedicated to outstanding students who really want to contribute to Myanmar’s democratic development.
- Host Institutions: Any accredited college or university, in any country, especially those in South East Asia and Hong Kong.
- Application Deadline: Starts 1 December 2021 and ends 31 January 2022.
- Number of Scholarships: Prospect Burma provides to both new students and continuing students around 80 to 90 scholarship awards annually.
In order to be qualified for a Prospect Burma scholarship, students must:
- Be originally from Myanmar; priority will be given to applicants who are currently living in and applying from Myanmar.
- Be enrolled, in the process of enrolling or have been accepted in a bachelor’s degree / a Master’s degree / or a Ph.D. at an accredited college or university, in any country but especially countries in South East Asia and Hong Kong. Prospect Burma will require a copy of the acceptance letter from the University only for shortlisted candidates.
- Find and obtain the necessary medical insurance for their studies.
- Have a strong academic record.
- Show a strong desire to pursue higher education.
- Be from disadvantaged families and/or can demonstrate financial need.
- Committed to returning to Myanmar after graduation and have a vision for their contribution to Myanmar’s democratic development.
- Students who study/wish to study for an undergraduate degree in countries with high living costs, like North America, Australia, the UK, New Zealand, Europe, Japan, or Korea, are not eligible unless a substantial tuition fee waiver has been offered by the University.
The scholarship can cover the costs associated with tuition fees, academic course materials, and living expenses including accommodation and food.
The scholarship doesn’t cover:
- The scholar’s family expenses;
- Additional airfare during the course of the study program;
- Expenses related field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships that are not contributing to degree credit.
How To Apply:
To apply for this scholarship, applicants must fill the application form that’s available on the Prospect Burma official website.
After completing the first page of their application and clicking on “Next” applicants will see an application reference number which they have to take note of as it will enable them to retrieve their form if they face any problems before submitting their application.
Once they submit their application, applicants will receive a new reference number which they will have to keep. They will also receive an automatic email from the server along with instructions for submitting the required documents.
Required Documents :
- Copy of recent academic records.
- Graduation certificates.
- Two recommendation letters: At least one must be an academic reference and the other form can also be academic or from a professional contact.
- proof of acceptance onto the university course if the applicant is shortlisted for interview.
- Information of any other awards or grants the applicant has been awarded – if the student receives any other grants or awards he/she must include this information in the application and send a copy of any letter or agreement you have.
- English qualification details.
- A copy of the personal details page of the applicant’s passport.
Visit the official website of Prospect Burma International Scholarship for more details.