Tucked away in the picturesque town of Cambridge, the University of Cambridge stands as a timeless haven for the pursuit of knowledge, the nurturing of innovation, and the spirited exchange of ideas. What sets Cambridge apart is the vibrant tapestry of its colleges, each woven with its own unique culture and traditions. This mosaic, in turn, creates an academic journey that is nothing short of extraordinary.
This revered institution is renowned for fostering an environment where intellectual curiosity and creativity are not just encouraged; they are passionately embraced. It’s a place where students are not passive recipients of knowledge but intrepid explorers, unafraid to think critically, challenge established norms, and wholeheartedly follow their passions. Within the hallowed halls of the colleges, a close-knit community flourishes, cultivating a profound sense of belonging and camaraderie among students. Meanwhile, the unwavering academic rigor serves as a guiding star, compelling students to explore far beyond the boundaries of their chosen fields.
Cambridge excels in promoting interdisciplinary research and collaboration, attracting world-class faculty and students from diverse backgrounds. Here, in this academic crucible, innovation thrives. It often blooms into groundbreaking discoveries and advances in various fields, shaping the course of our shared knowledge.
- Host University: University of Cambridge;
- Host Country: United Kingdom;
- Study Level: Masters, PhD Levels;
- Scholarship Type: Fully Funded;
- Scholarship Worth: 20,000£;
- Eligible Countries: International and National Students;
- Subjects Available: All Subjects;
- Application Deadline: January 5th, 2024.
For the academic year 2024-2025, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship extends a warm embrace to aspiring scholars from around the world, irrespective of their origins, be they international or domestic students. These coveted scholarships open the doors to an array of academic pursuits, including Masters, PhD, and Diploma programs across a spectrum of subjects. All of this unfolds within the revered confines of the University of Cambridge.
- The University Composition Fee, a pivotal cornerstone in this academic edifice, caters to your specific needs at Cambridge. Its value varies depending on your student category, and the precise figures can be found in the Graduate Studies prospectus.
- A generous maintenance allowance, tenderly bestowed upon you like a nurturing friend, amounting to £20,000 for 12 months (at the 2023-24 rate). This allowance, pro-rata for courses shorter than 12 months, ensures that your needs are met throughout your academic journey. If you’re on a Ph.D. path, this bountiful support extends for up to four years, fostering your scholarly growth.
- In addition, a single economy airfare is graciously offered both at the beginning and end of your academic journey, connecting you with your academic destination.
- Recognizing the importance of seamless entry into the United Kingdom, the scholarship also covers the costs of inbound visa processing and the Immigration Health Surcharge, ensuring your arrival is worry-free.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Trust, akin to a guardian angel, thoughtfully considers applications for various types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding, ranging from £500 to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, supports your participation in conferences and courses, enriching your academic journey.
- For scholars with families, a Dependent Children Allowance offers financial relief, providing up to £11,604 for one child and up to £16,548 for two or more children (2023-24 rate). The scholarship doesn’t cover expenses for a partner.
- If your research path includes fieldwork as part of your Ph.D., you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork, as the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be covered by the University Composition Fee.
- Maternity/Paternity funding is available should you require it, allowing you to intermit your studies for up to 6 months while still receiving your maintenance allowance.
- Hardship funding is provided to help scholars navigate unforeseen difficulties.
Eligibility for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship extends its welcoming embrace to individuals from every corner of the globe, irrespective of their citizenship, as long as they are not residents of the United Kingdom. This scholarship is an invitation to explore a realm of knowledge at the University of Cambridge, provided you are inclined towards the following academic pursuits:
- Embarking on a full-time or part-time* PhD journey, where innovation knows no bounds.
- Venturing into the realm of an MLitt, a full-time odyssey towards mastering your subject.
- Enrolling in a full-time, one-year postgraduate course is the standard, with some exceptions that are worth investigating further. An exciting opportunity for the October 2024 intake involves Gates Cambridge pioneering a program that enables potential scholars to apply for funding for a part-time doctoral degree, offering flexibility in academic pursuits.
Here’s a breakdown of the application materials you’ll typically need:
- Statement of Purpose: Usually around 500 words, outlining why you’re a suitable candidate for the scholarship and how you plan to utilize the acquired knowlNo funding is provided for a partner.edge to create a positive impact.
- Research Proposal (for Ph.D. applicants): Detailing your proposed research topic and plan.
- Academic Transcripts: Official records from your previous educational institutions showcasing your academic performance.
- Letters of Recommendation: Typically two to three, from academic or professional references who can attest to your qualifications and potential.
- CV/Resume: Providing an overview of your academic and professional background.
- Standardized Test Scores: If required by the course you’re applying for.
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores: If necessary, demonstrating your proficiency in English.
Submit Online Application:
- You apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship online. You can access the online application form on the official scholarship website. Be sure to read the guidelines and instructions carefully before starting your application.
For more information, please visit the university’s official website: https://www.gatescambridge.org/